Written Assignment #1
Pocahontas and Benjamin Franklin are two extraordinary Americans whose lives have been recounted in historical works, novels, plays, and film. Yet historical developments beyond their control shaped their life experiences. In an essay compare and contrast how historical developments influenced their respective experiences and outlooks.
In writing this essay consider the following questions:
- What historical developments most impacted their lives?
- How did they each react to these developments?
- How did these developments influence their actions?
- Did these historical developments exert a positive or negative influence on their lives?
In this essay be sure to include as supporting evidence from the sources in 3.4 (American Artifact Lens) and 3.4 (Economic Lens) in the textbook.
For additional information on the lives of these two people:
- For each written assignment students will answer essay questions based on certain assigned readings.
- Each assignment must be a minimum of 500 words in length.
- These essays will be evaluated according to the same criteria as essays in exams. In addition one-half point will be deducted from the total score of each assignment for every egregious error in spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Students must forward their assignments by using the course dropbox.
- Students must upload their papers into the dropbox by the due date.The instructor will not accept late papers unless the student can show good cause (as determined by the instructor) for missing the due date. Students who miss such a deadline must contact the instructor before or at the time of the due date to explain the cause of the delay.